Image HTML map generator

Saturday, January 6, 2018

TRAVEL | christmas markets and medieval towns

I survived my very first Christmas in Germany!

Ever since I had mentioned moving to Germany, many Hong Kong friends have warned me time and time again of how absolutely brutal the winters are in Europe. What they failed to mention though, is how amazing Germany's Christmas markets are--some almost good enough to make you forget about your frozen fingers and toes!

Though I have explored a handful of markets in Berlin, this year I mostly looked forward to visiting the Christkindlmarkt in Nürnberg, Romans hometown. I've been told that it is one of the most famous around Germany and I was excited to take in the sights (and to order a round of glühwein)




Since we visited on the last opening day (December 24th), the market was packed with tourists.
This was also the only market I visited during the day time so I have to admit it did lose a bit of
it's Christmas magic. However, a large class of mulled wine spiked with lots of rum really helped
with putting me in a good mood!















Our holiday was a bit slow and sleepy, so Roman and I decided to break the routine of napping and chilling all day to visit Rothenberg ob der Tauber, a small medieval down an hour west of Nürnberg. When we arrived, the city was cleaning up after their Christmas festivities so the whole town square looked a little depressing.

But despite the dead fir trees, the city was really gorgeous and well preserved. And I still can't get enough of Germany's timber buildings--so much so, we even bought a small ceramic house (see pic 2 & 4) from the markets for our apartment. Maybe I'll have a little collection going on in a few years!

No comments:

Post a Comment